A damaged natural gas line on Canyon Road has caused some disruption to service. Photo Courtesy LAC
Instructions for Canyon Village residents who need appliances re-lit. Courtesy LAC
COUNTY NEWS RELEASE
A 4-inch natural gas distribution line was damaged at about noon on Friday by a construction contractor working on the Canyon Road Reconstruction Project. The hit caused natural gas to leak near the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church and Gold Street Apartments.
Los Alamos Police Department initially instructed people in the vicinity to shelter in place. However, Department of Public Utilities crews have shut off the gas and the release of natural gas into the air has stopped so the shelter-in-place directive has been lifted.
The repair of the natural gas distribution has been completed by 4 p.m. and crews are currently re-lighting pilot lights for appliances for residents of Canyon Village Apartments gas was temporarily shit off during the line repaid. Customers in Canyon Village are asked to call (505) 662-8333 before 5 p.m. to make arrangements for re-lights. Between 5 p.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 6, call (505) 662-8222. Resident must be present for re-light of gas.