The most current Public Health order, issued June 1, 2020, states that “Public swimming pools may open but such facilities are limited to lane-swimming and lessons with up to two students only.” As a result, the Walkup Aquatic Center will open beginning on June 8, 2020 for lap swimming only for swimmers 13 years and older. Twenty-one short course lanes (water walking lanes 1, 3 & 4, lane #2 is ADA accessible with lift) will be available to reserve in forty-five minute increments. Precautionary safety measures including modified hours of operation, enhanced cleaning procedures, strict distancing guidelines, and adjusted capacity limits will be in place. The therapy pool will remain closed as this time.
The PROS administrative offices located in the Aquatic Center will be open starting Thursday, June 5, 2020 from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and the public can begin reserving pool lanes on Friday, June 5, 2020 by calling (505) 662-8170.. For swimmers with rental lockers, you can call the front desk starting Thursday, June 5 to arrange time to retrieve items from lockers. Locker rooms are closed for use. Though the PROS administrative offices are open, reservations for park pavilions and other park facilities are not being processed due to these facilities being closed for public rentals.
Aquatic Center Lap Swimming Hours (starting 6/8/20): Monday – Friday: 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The following precautions and operational changes will be enforced until further notice:
- Lane Reservation – 45 minute per reservation and ONE reservation per day. Call one day (call Friday for Monday reservation) ahead to reserve lane. No walk-in reservations.
- Wearing of face coverings is required when entering the facility and in all areas except the pool
- No gatherings or spectators on deck will be allowed
- Coaches and/or instructors prohibited from reserving lanes for private coaching (coaches can recommend written, self-directed workout plans for athletes)
- Positive check-in required, even for pass holders
- Patrons must wait outside of the facility until their reservation time;
- When waiting in line outside of the facility, patrons are required to maintain six feet of distance between themselves and others
- Individuals showing any symptoms of illness should not use the facility, and high-risk individuals are discouraged from using the facility
- One person per lap lane, if from the same household may have 1 additional person. Adjacent lanes must be limited to 1 swimmer
- NO locker room use and NO shower use, must come workout ready, wearing suits, swimmers must shower at home
- Baskets available for use at reserved lane
- Comprehensive Disinfectant Procedure – 15-minute gap between reservations to allow for patrons to exit building, staff to disinfect handrails, baskets, lifeguard stands, rescue tubes, etc.
- Entry and exit of patrons will follow separate pathways.
- There will be no equipment for patron-sharing usage