The Los Alamos Public Schools’ Physical Education teachers are encouraging students and families to participate in the OPEN (Online Physical Education Network) National Field Day event on Friday, May 8.
Field Day is an important tradition at LAPS. It is a significant day for our students and our staff, and we feel that in these incredibly challenging times, this national event is a unique way that we can stay connected as a community and support one another in a fun and meaningful way.
Typically, Field Day is for 5th and 6th graders, but under these circumstances, all students and families are invited to participate.
All National Field Day events are designed to be done at home, indoors or outdoors, using common household items like milk jugs, beach towels and plastic cups. Check out the event cards here and here.
Here’s how it will work:
- LAPS is now registered as a participant in this event. Families can choose to register as well, but it’s not a requirement.
- As a part of registration, you will receive Field Day Friday email updates each week, with new resources that they will share with you.
- Your family will be asked to choose a minimum of 4 events to complete on Field Day. However, you may complete as many events as you’d like to.
- On May 8, we will participate in events, complete an official score card, email photos and videos to email@example.com and participate nationally on social media using #NationalFieldDay.
- After the event, submit your score on this Google Form.
- Every student that completes in at least 4 events will receive an OPEN National Field Day certificate.
More information can be found on the OPEN National Field Day website. We appreciate your cooperation and are hopeful that your entire family will use it as a fun and meaningful way to be physically active together and with our entire school community.