Take the kids to the stables on North Mesa Sunday morning for a real treat. Courtesy photo
BY WENDY BURKE-RYAN
The 3rd Annual Stroll the Stables will take place from 9 a.m. to noon Sunday, Aug. 14. Visit the stables in the morning and then head over to the rodeo for the afternoon. This year there is lots to learn about:
- The historic Lujan Cabin, homesteading and meet a wonderful fiber goat herd
- The recreational activities and horses at The Gifted Horse
- Quarter Horses and ranching history
- History of the stables and how to safely be around horses with leading basics and little walk
- Chickens – breeds, purposes and production.
- Walk/train a chicken with a chicken harness
- Take a selfie with a chicken or a goat
- Healthy wheatgrass… growing, tasting, health benefits
- Radiograph (x-ray) of a horse with the horse right next to it.
- See what’s in a veterinarian’s truck… a rare opportunity!
- History of horses and boys at the Ranch School, the current mounted patrol and trail riding from Boy Scout Troop 22 Mounted Patrol
- Rescue animals with a rescued horse, standard donkey and dachsund
- Paint some white ponies and donkey with Tempra paints!
- The historic Grant Cabin
- The differences between donkeys and horses with two fabulous donkeys… one was a wild donkey adopted from the BLM.
- Caring for Dairy Goats. Pet the adorable baby goats
- Positive reinforcement to train equines
- Demos where folks can train each other to do simple behaviors.
- Draft horses and their history, pulling carts, and how the Amish use them
- Or just come and see a really BIG horse.