PEEC NEWS RELEASE
Mark your calendars for PEEC’s annual Bear Festival! This free event will happen on Saturday, Aug. 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Los Alamos Nature Center. Enjoy a fun day full of booths, games, and resources on living with black bears and other predators and wildlife in Northern New Mexico. Thanks to Century Bank for sponsoring Bear Festival!
Visitors will learn about what people can do to keep both human and bear populations safe. Attendees will learn about wildlife in our area and managing human-wildlife interactions through educational booths from the National Park Service, the New Mexico Wildlife Center, Los Alamos County Environmental Services, Audubon Southwest, the Santa Fe National Forest, Los Alamos County Open Space & Trails, and other organizations.
Plus, enjoy making wildlife masks with Fuller Lodge Art Center, crafting origami wildlife, going on a scavenger hunt, and more. Century Bank will be giving out plush Century Bank bears to kids and bear bells to adults while supplies last.
Have lunch at the festival from the Los Alamos CO-OP Market!
Check out some of the special events happening during Bear Festival:
- 10 AM: Art in Public Places Dedication of Richard Swenson’s Lizard Art Sculptures
- 11 AM – 12 PM: Meet an Animal Ambassador from the New Mexico Wildlife Center
- 11 AM and 1 PM: Learn About Ursa Major and Minor in the Planetarium (Seating Limited to 30 People for Each Show)
- 11 AM – 2:30 PM: Bathtub Row Brewing Co-op “Bear Garden”
Plus, be sure to tune in for other bear-themed events leading up to Bear Festival:
- Monday, August 23 at 5:30 PM: Nature On Tap: Living with Predators in New Mexico
- Friday, August 27 at 6 PM: Eat Like a Bear Dinner & Movie
The parking lot at the Los Alamos Nature Center will be closed to vehicle traffic for this festival and the majority of this event will be hosted outdoors. Park across the street at the United Church, walk, or ride your bike to the festival! Masks are required inside the Los Alamos Nature Center for all visitors, regardless of vaccination status. Please wear a mask outdoors at the festival if you are unvaccinated.