Join the Pajarito Environmental Education Center (PEEC) on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m. for a screening of the short film “I Am Cheo” along with a panel discussion featuring representatives from across Northern New Mexico about climate change locally.
Produced by the Hispanic Access Foundation, “I Am Cheo” explores the intersection of Latinos, environmental justice and wildfires through the eyes of a young Latino boy, Cheo, in a sweeping cinematic journey across the lands that are both his history and future. The film emphasizes the need for engagement and action to preserve the future.
During the post-film discussion, we’ll hear from individuals and representatives from organizations and community groups that are working in New Mexico to address climate change in different ways.
· Garrett Altmann, Santa Clara Pueblo Forestry Department
· Dino Chavarria, Santa Clara Pueblo Environment Department
· Jordan Garcia, Power Network Manager, Los Alamos County Department of Public Utilities
· Filmmakers Monica Irlando-Wildman and Pablo Irlando Wildman, Sancre Productions
· Artemisio Romero y Carver, Steering Committee Member of Youth United 4 Climate Crisis Action (YUCCA)
· Sandra West, co-host of the Resilient New Mexico podcast
This program will be hosted on Zoom and registration is required to get the event link and password. Go to peecnature.org/events to find out more and sign up!
PEEC was founded in 2000 to serve the community of Los Alamos. It offers people of all ages a way to enrich their lives by strengthening their connections to our canyons, mesas, mountains and skies. PEEC operates the Los Alamos Nature Center at 2600 Canyon Road, holds regular programs and events and hosts a number of interest groups from birding to hiking to butterfly watching. The Los Alamos Nature Center is currently closed due to COVID-19, but there are many ways to learn about nature and interact with PEEC online. PEEC activities are open to everyone; however, members receive exclusive benefits such as discounts on programs and merchandise. Annual memberships start at $35. To learn more, visit www.peecnature.org.