With a chance of snow on Monday, Oct. 26, Los Alamos Public Schools has updated inclement weather procedures for the 2020-21 school year.
Announcements about any changes in school schedules or delayed start times will usually arrive by 5:30 am. They will be sent via the media, email, district web page and School Messenger. Here are the telephone information lines.
Elementary schools: Aspen 663-2277, Barranca 663-2731, Chamisa 663-2472, Mountain 663-2327, Pinon 663-2682
Middle School 663-2377
Topper Freshman Academy 663-2512
High School 663-2512
District Office 663-2223
We will continue to coordinate with the Lab and County on inclement weather announcements.
No In-Person School Because of Inclement Weather
If snow or ice prevents safe travel to school, LAPS will announce a remote learning day for all students. Teachers will use Google Classroom, Google Meet and other online resources. Please plan ahead and make sure that computing devices and charging cords are available at home.
Two-Hour Delayed Start
For an in-person learning day, buses will arrive at bus stops two hours later than the usual pickup time.
School start times:
Elementary schools – 10:20 am
Mid School – 10:00 am
High School – 9:50 am
Parking lots will usually be cleared and ready for buses and cars by 7:30 am. Please allow our maintenance staff to clear the parking lots. Sidewalks will usually be cleared by 8:00 am.
When you see snow and ice on the roads
- Remember: safety first
- If possible, get up earlier than usual to clear snow, assist a friend or provide extra travel time
- Please be extra cautious when driving
- Wear footwear that helps prevent slips, trips, and falls
- Take advantage of teachable moments – weather provides an incentive for students to write stories, learn science, and even calculate travel times
- Encourage students to talk about their experiences in the snow
- Please exercise extra patience
- Snow and ice can cause stress; thus, try giving an extra hand to your neighbor
- Please remember that people have different tolerances for weather. We aspire to be understanding of each other. Thank you.