BANDELIER NEWS RELEASE
Due to the increased risk of wildfire in the region, Bandelier National Monument will enter Stage II fire restrictions on Thursday, July 27 at 8:00 AM. These restrictions are necessary to help land management agencies reduce fire risk and prevent wildfires.
Under Stage II restrictions, the following is prohibited:
- The use of campfires or charcoal grills (gas grills may continue to be used)
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame
- Operating or using any internal combustion engine off paved or graveled roads is prohibited. Generators are allowed if equipped with an approved spark arresting device and used in an area that is barren or clear of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the generator
- All outdoor smoking except for inside vehicles or in the designated smoking areas
- The administrative use of chainsaws or other internal combustion equipment is excepted after project review by the Superintendent
Several criteria are used to determine when to implement fire restrictions, including fire activity levels, current and predicted weather, fuel moisture, and the availability of firefighting resources. Fire restriction criteria are routinely evaluated, and restrictions could be upgraded or downgraded at any time. Therefore, visitors should check the park’s website for alerts.