SENATE REPUBLICANS NEWS RELEASE
The 2023 Legislative Session adjourned sine die at noon Saturday. Despite holding just 15 seats in the 42-member chamber, the Senate Republican Caucus achieved major victories this Session.
“Senate Republicans held the line and showed our state a positive vision for the future,” said Senate Republican Leader, Senator Greg Baca (R-Belen). “Over the past 60 days, we maintained an undivided focus on delivering good governance, strong families, and safe communities for the people of New Mexico.”
This session, Senate Republicans:
- Brokered the bipartisan fix to the medical malpractice crisis, ensuring that our doctors can obtain liability insurance and continue to practice in New Mexico;
- Spearheaded legislation to ensure that our constituents have a voice in state government;
- Led the “Children First” campaign to reform the troubled CYFD and provide independent oversight;
- Delivered essential wildfire relief and passed legislation to prevent the next devastating wildfire;
- Defeated the worst of the worst gun bills and pushed back against attacks on our Second Amendment rights;
- Reduced the tax burden on hardworking New Mexicans and veterans;
- Fought to defend the rights of parents and those who cannot speak for themselves; and
- Ensured that New Mexicans with traditional values of faith, family, and freedom had a voice in Santa Fe.
“In a state where the extreme partisans have a heavy influence, Senate Republicans stood tall for the hundreds of thousands of New Mexicans not represented by this Democrat trifecta,” added Senator Baca. Against all odds, we brokered a lifeline for this state’s doctors and delivered meaningful CYFD reform. Though dark money progressive groups pushed through bills that we vehemently disagree with, they did not move without our vocal opposition and our best efforts to lessen the blow to New Mexico families. We will continue to forge ahead and lead the way to a brighter future for the state of New Mexico.”