BY DUNCAN HAMMON
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, the nation’s largest free tax assistance and preparation service, is offering services in Los Alamos again this year. The services provided by volunteers from the community are intended primarily for senior citizens and lower income tax payers. While we greatly appreciate the space Century Bank provided for the last two years we are pleased to be able to offer services in-person this year downstairs at the Betty Ehart Senior Center, 1101 Bathtub Row, Los Alamos, NM. With exception of a few days, appointments will be taken for Monday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons from Thursday, February 9 through Friday, April 14.
Appointments are required and can be made now at:
or go to: AARP.org/taxaide
Select: Site Locator
Enter Zip Code: 87544 Los Alamos NM
Select: Betty Ehart Community Center (Senior Center) View Details for any day
Select: Make an appointment.
A phone number is required and an email address is very helpful
If you need assistance making an appointment, beginning February 1 you can call the Senior Center at 505-662-8920. You can also call 505-695-1211 now and leave a message, or email to email@example.com.
Please arrive 10-20 minutes early for your appointment so you can fill out the required Intake/Interview form. You can also pick up this form at the Senior Center prior to your appointment if you would like to fill it out at home. Taxpayers will sit with the volunteer counselor while the return is being prepared. We will not retain any of your documents and all returns will be filed electronically.
For taxpayers who are married both individuals must be present to sign documents. Exceptions may be made only when a spouse is unable to be present due to health issues. We are not able to complete Married Filing Separate returns.
What you need to bring:
- Copy of prior year return,
- Driver’s license or state ID of the primary filers,
- Social Security Card or ITIN letters for all taxpayers and dependents,
- Social Security year end statement (SSA-1099)
- Bank information (routing and account numbers) for direct deposit or direct debit,
- Income documents: W-2, 1099 for retirement income, self-employment, interest, dividend, capital gains or brokerage statements, unemployment (form 1099-G), gambling income and related loss documentation.,
- Individuals eligible for State/County Rebates or Credits – bring 1022 property tax bill or rent information, out-of-pocket medical expenses and other household income (SSI, etc.),
- Supporting documents for itemized deductions or credits: childcare, college or vocational training expenses (1098-T), charitable donations, mortgage interest, etc.
If applicable, also bring:
- Self-employed Income and Expenses documentation, 1099-NEC or other income, business related expenditures, business miles driven.
- Marketplace insurance document 1095-A
The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program cannot prepare returns that include:
- Rental income
- Married individuals who file separately,
- Self-employment returns with expenses of more than $35,000, home office deduction, employees, inventory, or operating loss,
- Any virtual currency (crypto coin) holdings or transactions
- Royalty income with associated expenses,
- Casualty loss,
- We may not be able to complete an out-of-state return.