COUNTY NEWS RELEASE
Los Alamos County Aquatic and Project Management staff have been coordinating efforts to improve the Aquatic Center operations in two ways: to perform regular preventive maintenance of the pool surface to ensure long-term uninterrupted use and to install and fine-tune the upgraded water filter associated with the project, to provided aquatic center staff the tools and training of the new equipment to ensure proper operations and maintain water health standards.
The therapy pool is scheduled to close starting Aug. 15 and is anticipated to reopen on Sept. 5 The Olympic pool is scheduled to close starting Aug. 19 and is also anticipated to reopen on Sept. 5 This is to allow for the completion of various projects related to the aquatic center upgrades and preventative maintenance items.
Crews will fine tune the Olympic pool’s upgraded filtration system installed as part of the Leisure Lagoon Project. This work includes:
• Installation of new flow meters to help staff monitor the water system flow. • Installation of new electrical relays for water system automation.
• Repair a leaking section of pipe.
• Final water system tuning and staff training of new equipment.
Prevention maintenance work that will be performed by Aquatic Center staff includes:
• Draining of both pools
• Repainting the therapy pool walls
• Resurfacing the Olympic pool
• Deep cleaning of all locker rooms
• Repainting the deck signs
• Other needed maintenance from daily use
Work on the Leisure Lagoon continues, however significant supply chain delays of the remaining electrical components required to operate the pool’s water system, have caused interruptions with the project. Upon arrival and installation, the new pool will be plastered and then filled with water for curing, and the water system can then undergo fine-tuning. This work is scheduled for completion by mid-October pending the arrival of all the remaining electrical components.