LAPS NEWS RELEASE
Save the date for Safety Town. This year the free program for all children entering kindergarten in the fall will be held Monday, June 6 through Friday, June 10 from 8:30 a.m. to noon at Barranca Mesa Elementary School.
Students will participate in hands-on activities, crafts, interactions with safety personnel, and safety situations to prepare for potential hazards they may encounter at school, at home or in the community.
Safety Town gives children the opportunity to:
- Engage in safety activities that build their self-confidence at school, in the community, and at home
- Respond to emergencies and who to contact
- Identify and avoid hazards at home, school, and in the community
- Be prepared when utilizing trails, open spaces and parks should they encounter wild or domestic animals
- Have fun in a safe, well-supervised environment
The program is sponsored by Los Alamos Public Schools and the Los Alamos Police Department. Over 480 children have attended Safety Town since the program was started in 2015 by LAPD Chief Dino Sgambellone.
Registration will open on April 4 and close on May 27. The program is limited to 100 participants. Contact Gina Terrazas at (505) 663-2232 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.