LAPS NEWS RELEASE
Today, the number of positive COVID cases among staff and students at Los Alamos High School over the past 14 days reached the 5% threshold. LAHS currently has 68 positive COVID cases. Beginning Thursday, January 13, 2022, both Topper Freshman Academy and Los Alamos High School will transition to temporary remote learning. Students will remain in remote learning through January 22. LAHS Principal Carter Payne has sent a message to all students, staff and families with guidance on remote learning for the next 10 days.
Athletic practices and games will be suspended during this remote learning period.
Today the New Mexico Public Education Department (PED) released an updated COVID Toolkit. Some important changes include:
- Reduction in self isolation and quarantine from 10 days to five days (page 4)
- Change in quarantine requirements (eligible adults need booster to avoid quarantine after exposure, children do not – page 4)
- Change to the definition of fully vaccinated such that the definition aligns to the CDC’s current recommendation for up-to-date vaccination for an individual, including booster shots (page 4)
- Change in testing days for test to stay (page 5)
- Updates to surveillance testing to align with the Public Health Order (page 22)
- An amendment to the prohibition on unvaccinated individuals sharing sleeping quarters (page 28).
We will continue to update the community as the situation evolves. We appreciate your patience and commitment to the safety of our schools.