COUNTY NEWS RELEASE
Los Alamos County Council and the Community Services Department will celebrate the completion of the Ice Rink Improvements project with a Ribbon Cutting event on Wednesday, Dec. 22 at 12 noon at the Los Alamos County Ice Rink.
The Ice Rink Improvements project began in Aug. 2019 as a Council-approved capital improvement project with a budget of $1.85 million, and included:
- demolishing the existing wood structure housing locker rooms 3 and 4, and referee changing area; demolishing the Ice Rink operations storage area;
- remodeling the restroom areas, incorporating locker rooms 1 and 2 for an expanded restroom facility;
- constructing six team locker rooms and one referee locker room and a new Ice Rink operations storage on the site of the current wood structure;
- replacing the existing rooftop furnace with a larger and more efficient unit to better warm the restroom area, warming house and new locker facility; and
- adding a fire alerting system to the warming house and restrooms, new locker facility, and the Zamboni and Equipment Building on the east side of the rink area.
The project was completed under budget at $1,842,000 ($8,000 remaining) in February 2020.
Built in 1936, and improved several times, the Los Alamos County Ice Rink is the only refrigerated, NHL regulation, outdoor Ice Rink in New Mexico. The rink offers public skating, hockey, and skating lessons from mid-November through February. For hours of operation, rates, and other information, visit the County’s webpage.
FREE admission, skate rentals and warm drinks will be provided to all at the Ice Rink during the Ribbon Cutting event.