Frijoles Canyon in Bandelier National Monument. Photo Courtesy NPS
Bandelier will be offering an optional weekend and holiday shuttle service starting July 3, 2021. This will provide visitors with an opportunity to visit even if the parking lots fill to capacity. Usually, Bandelier operates a required shuttle service mid-May through mid-October due to limited parking in Frijoles Canyon. Currently the shuttle is not mandatory, but it may be the only way to access the visitor center and most popular area of Bandelier if the parking lots fill up.
Some tips for visitors include:
- Visit in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid crowds.
- Visit areas outside of Frijoles Canyon from 10:30-2:30.
- Visit on weekends when the shuttle provides the option to ride to the park if parking lots fill.
- Dress appropriately and bring water, snacks. A short (1.4 miles round-trip) walk is required to see Bandelier’s famous sites including the cavates, petroglyphs, and ladders.
- Park near Juniper Campground and hike to the visitor center (2 miles one way) on the Frey Trail and then ride the shuttle back to your car.
The first shuttle will leave the White Rock visitor center at 9 AM on Saturdays and Sundays (holidays too). The last shuttle leaves the Bandelier visitor center at 5 PM. The shuttle ride is free, but park entrance fees still apply. A face mask is required when riding the park shuttle.
“We are very excited to begin weekend shuttles and provide this alternative to visitors, especially on days when our parking lots fill to capacity,” acting Bandelier Superintendent Dennis Milligan said.
Park entrance fees are $25 per private vehicle, $20 per motorcycle, or $15 per bicycle/individual. All entrance passes are valid for 7 days. Camping fees are not included in entrance fees. America the Beautiful – the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands passes are accepted for entrance fees. The full suite of America the Beautiful – the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands passes as well as Bandelier Annual passes are available for purchase at the visitor center. For more information about types of passes and prices, visit: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm.
Bandelier National Monument is open every day from sunrise to sunset. The park store operated by Western National Parks Association is open each day, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. The café is open 7 days a week, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.