Are you or someone you know stressing about the transition to high school or beyond? Do you have a disability that makes the process more complex? If your answer is “Yes!” then join us for Forward@14, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturdays, June 5 and 12 on Zoom! Parents Reaching Out and Lemonade Living are offering live virtual workshops for Los Alamos area youth with disabilities, parents and community members, guided by experienced outreach and youth liaisons to learn together, practice and reflect on topics that will help:
- Increase your awareness of other people’s disabilities and find your own way to advocate, however that may be
- Hear about laws we have to support the disability community, laws like ADA, IDEA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Learn tips to help you take a more active role in facilitating your IEP (Individual Education Plan) or ISP (Individualized Support Plan) with someone you trust
- Discuss employment, further education and vocational school options you have to lay the foundation for the adult life you want
- Consider how to have a connected conversation as you take control of your healthcare
- Explore the importance of fun! What does it look like? How can you be an active and inclusive member of your community?
There will also be a virtual resource fair where you can talk with people from organizations in the Los Alamos area who can assist you with guidance, resources, services and programs. Register at https://mailchi.mp/52f250a242b4/pro-june-2021-workshop-sign-up
This event is offered at no cost to participants thanks to the support of New Mexico Developmental Disabilities Planning Council and Developmental Disabilities Support Division.