THE FAMILY YMCA NEWS
As Los Alamos Public Schools has pushed the hybrid start date for school to October 19, The Family YMCA will also move its After-school Program to begin October 19. Until then, the Y’s STEAM Day Camp continues to run for the families that need it.
The Y is taking steps to incorporate STEAM into all programs. Registration for all programs is open, but space is limited. Snacks are provided in the programs, but parents must provide lunches.
● STEAM DAY CAMP (current)
○ The Y will continue holding Day Camp for families through October 16.
● HYBRID AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM – Begins October 19
○ Due to low enrollments, the Y will be combining sites.
■ In Los Alamos, the program will be held at Aspen Elementary.
■ In White Rock, the program will be held at Chamisa Elementary.
○ The Y is not able to provide transportation, but per LAPS recommendation, parents are encouraged to visit Atomic City Transportation for convenient routes.
● HYBRID WEDNESDAY CAMP – Begins October 21
○ Program is for after-school parents needing full-day care on Wednesdays.
○ Camp will be held at Aspen Elementary.
● MONDAY-FRIDAY DAY CAMP – Begins October 19
○ This camp is open to all, but preference will be given to LAPS employees and essential workers. It will run from 7:15 am-4:15 pm, Monday through Friday at Pueblo Gym, and will support online learning.
■ Teachers and other community members may apply for financial assistance for this program through Los Alamos County’s childcare assistance program, if you have question you may email CARESassistance@lacnm.us or call 663-1966 from 8:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
■ The Y also offers financial assistance to families based on need. Some of this assistance is underwritten by LANL-TRIAD.
If a child has been in a Y childcare program before, parents may call the Y to register over the phone.
Families whose children are new to the Y, need to download a registration forms (linked) and take it to the Y to register in person. Hard copies of registration forms are also available at the Y.