Each year, the New Mexico congressional delegation hosts information sessions around the state for interested middle and high school students, teachers and staff, and the community to learn about the military service academies, the nominations process, and visit with academy and ROTC representatives from:
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London
- NMSU and UNM ROTC Programs
The Military offers unique educational opportunities for students who plan to pursue a college degree. The academies offer world-class education and a deeper understanding of military culture. In addition, these schools grant full tuition in exchange for a period of service commitment. For students who want to experience a military environment while getting a first-class education, the service academies offer a fully-funded tuition that includes books, board and medical and dental care.
The competition to get in begins with a rigorous application process, whose criteria includes:
- High school academic performance
- Standardized test scores (SAT or ACT)
- Athletics and extracurricular activities
- Leadership experience and community involvement
- A congressional letter of recommendation*
With New Mexico schools functioning remotely, we will be holding a final Q&A session for all students, but especially those seniors or recent graduates considering attending a service academy next year.
Thursday, August 27 from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Register in advance at https://rebrand.ly/NMnominations. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about how to join the meeting.
Questions on registration? Email ServiceAcademy.TorresSmall@mail.house.gov for assistance.
HOW DO I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ACADEMIES?
Additionally, we invite you to listen in to presentations that were held in May 2020 by our offices and each of the academies who provided a deep-dive of their programs, culture, and career opportunities post-graduation.