BY KURT STEINHAUS
Los Alamos Public Schools
Dear LAPS Parents, Families and Staff,
The most recent survey closed yesterday (Aug. 24). Thank you for your participation.
Parent Survey Results (91% return rate)
Factors most influencing your decision about the type of learning that is best for your family at this time.
- Top 2 factors: my child’s 1) academic progress and 2) their social emotional needs
- Bottom 2 factors: 1) need for childcare and 2) technology challenges
- Middle factors: health of family, health of my child, other children’s adherence to COVID-safe practices, school’s readiness to implement COVID-safe practices, my child’s ability to implement COVID-safe practices, and my family’s work schedule
We are using qualitative research methods to analyze the comments.
Results from the LAPS teacher, school counselor, nurse, librarian, student services, secretary, and Principal survey (92% return rate).
Factors most influencing your decision
- Top 2 factors: 1) student and staff well being and social emotional needs, and 2) student academic progress and learning
- Bottom 2 factors: 1) need for childcare and 2) my work schedule
- Middle factors: staff’s ability to implement COVID-safe practices, health of my family, school’s readiness to implement COVID-safe practices, my health, and technology challenges
Update about PPE, Sanitizing and Cleaning Supplies
Since the July 30th School Board Work Session, significant progress has been made in securing and delivering PPE to LAPS schools.
- Los Alamos Commerce and Development Corporation — donated 800 disposable masks and 30 thermometers
- Masks — community members have made hundreds of multi-layer cotton masks, child-size masks, and masks with a clear front for a view of lips and mouth
- Hand sanitizer and face shields — delivered in school mail boxes
- Virex spray cleaning bottles — we are working to finalize the labels and deliver to every classroom
- Sanitizing wipes — with hard work from Matt Schmidt and Jenny McCumber, LAPS will receive $5,000 from the Los Alamos Schools Credit Union, Del Norte Credit Union, Zia Credit Union and the LAPS Foundation to purchase plastic containers of sanitizing wipes
LAPS is grateful for these contributions!