The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Albuquerque District, has detected signs of a potentially toxic Blue-Green Algae bloom at the lake.
Warning signs are posted at the lake’s public access points, and visitors are advised to:
- Avoid swallowing lake water
- Do not touch algal scums
- DO NOT drink untreated lake water
- Use caution when swimming, water skiing and coming into contact with lake water.
- Keep pets and livestock off the beach and out of the water.
- Avoid areas with visible algae accumulation, scums or mats, or water that: looks like pea soup or spilled paint, is discolored, has colored streaks, or has green globs floating beneath the surface.
Children and pets are more likely to get sick because of blue-green algae. Blue-green algae blooms, or cyanobacteria, can cause health risks in humans and pets if ingested, inhaled or touched:
- Skin exposures can give people a rash, hives or skin blisters.
- Breathing in water droplets during activities like water-skiing and swimming can cause runny eyes and nose, a sore throat, asthma-like symptoms, or allergic reactions.
- Swallowing water can cause stomach symptoms to occur within hours or days after an exposure, including abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Neurotoxicity symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after exposure.
In humans, symptoms can include numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, dizziness, and in extremely rare cases death.
In dogs, symptoms can include drooling, weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing, convulsions and death.
For any health issues experienced after contact with blue-green algae affected water please seek medical advice immediately.
The USACE, Albuquerque District will distribute the latest information on their website, www.spa.usace.army.mil, their Facebook account, https://www.facebook.com/AbiquiuLakeUSACE/ and through the local news media as well as the project office at Abiquiu Lake.