Join the Pajarito Environmental Education Center throughout the week for fun, interactive ScienceFest events! PEEC’s offerings include a virtual Summer Family Evening with the Explora Science Center, a virtual electric vehicle show and more. Photo Courtesy PEEC
The Pajarito Environmental Education Center is excited to join in the fun of Los Alamos ScienceFest again this year! This popular festival is happening virtually from July 7 – 14 with lectures, STEAM activities, discussions and much more that you can join from the comfort and safety of home.
There are many events to enjoy from organizations and speakers from around the community, so be sure to check out the full ScienceFest schedule at losalamossciencefest.com!
Here are PEEC’s upcoming ScienceFest events:
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 8 at 6 PM — Virtual Summer Family Evening: Energy with Explora, Sponsored by Del Norte Credit Union & Los Alamos ScienceFest
- Join the Explora Science Center to explore humanity’s greatest resource: electrical energy! Explora’s Anthony Salvagno will lead this event and help the audience explore electrical phenomena with shocks, sparks and plasma balls! Participants will also explore how electricity gets from power plants to their home, and how we can manage energy for the future. Learn more and register here.
- FRIDAY, JULY 10 at 7 PM — The Future of Manned Space Exploration
- Learn about the future of manned space exploration in this ScienceFest astronomy talk from Rick Wallace. Rick will discuss current plans and studies related to commercial space travel, plans for colonizing Mars and more. Learn more and register here.
- SATURDAY, JULY 11 at 12 PM — Virtual Electric Vehicle Show
- Meet electric vehicle owners in PEEC’s live-streamed Electric Vehicle Show! Get a tour of their cars and ask your questions about going electric with your transportation. This event will be a part of Los Alamos ScienceFest’s virtual Discovery Day and is brought to you by the Los Alamos Department of Public Utilities. Learn more and register here.
- SATURDAY, JULY 11 at 2 PM — PBS Science Café: Animal Espionage on the Pajarito Plateau
- Join PEEC and New Mexico PBS for the July virtual Science Café. Watch a segment of NOVA Animal Espionage and join a discussion with Hari Viswanathan. Hari will discuss his adventures in capturing wildlife on camera and his experiences visiting the Pantanal area highlighted in the documentary. Register here.
There is much more going on throughout the week! Be sure to check out the full schedule of events on ScienceFest’s website. Be sure to also register as an attendee through the Whova mobile app or desktop web app.
PEEC was founded in 2000 to serve the community of Los Alamos. It offers people of all ages a way to enrich their lives by strengthening their connections to our canyons, mesas, mountains, and skies. PEEC operates the Los Alamos Nature Center at 2600 Canyon Road, holds regular programs and events, and hosts a number of interest groups from birding to hiking to butterfly watching. PEEC activities are open to everyone; however, members receive exclusive benefits such as discounts on programs and merchandise. Annual memberships start at $35. To learn more, visit www.peecnature.org.