BY BARBARA CALEF
League of Women Voters of Los Alamos
Many voters have requested an absentee ballot for the primary election. Here are some tips from the League of Women Voters to make sure your ballot is counted. (The County Clerk has included excellent instructions with the ballot, but this advice is to help avoid common errors.)
- Use black or blue ink. Do not use pencil or any other color ink.
- Fill in the oval opposite the name of your preferred candidate for each office. On the Democratic ballot, you can vote for up to three County Council candidates.
- On the Libertarian and Republican ballots, there is an opportunity to vote for a write-in candidate. If you wish to vote for that person, be sure to fill in the oval AND write in the qualified candidate’s name. You can find the names of the write-in candidates in the LWVLA Voter Guide, at www.lwvlosalamos.org
- After filling out the ballot, place it in the inner envelope and put the inner envelope into the outer envelope. Before sealing the outer envelope, sign your name and fill out the other requested information in the shaded and starred areas. The date of the election is June 2, 2020. The ballot will not be counted without your completed oath and signature on the outer envelope.
- Note that you do not need to add postage! It has already been paid for by the state.
If you do not want to put the ballot in the mail, you can take it to the Municipal Building and place it in the ballot box outside the Clerk’s Office on the 2nd floor. Only the voter, caregiver, or a member of the voter’s immediate family (parent, spouse, sibling, child) is allowed to deliver the ballot. If the ballot is delivered by any of these authorized persons, they must also sign the return envelope in the area designated for the “Delivery Person.”
Schedule for polling places
- May 5-May 15 Early Voting – Council Chambers
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Closed Saturday & Sunday
- May 16-May 30 Early Voting – Council Chambers & White Rock Town Hall
- Monday thru Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Closed Sundays & Memorial Day Holiday
- June 2 Election Day – Council Chambers, White Rock Town Hall, Golf Course, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Absentee Ballots accepted until 7:00 p.m.
Absentee Ballots are also accepted at the polling places during early voting and on Election Day.