Archbishop John C. Wester
BY ARCHBISHOP JOHN C. WESTER
Archdiocese of Santa Fe
As the COVID-19 crisis impacts our world at an alarming rate, it is more imperative than ever we heed the advice of our global scientists, medical and public health experts. The Archdiocese of Santa Fe is consistently seeking ways to best respond to the needs of the faithful and protect the sanctity of life. We will also continue abide by:
- New Mexico’s Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s March 11, 2020 Executive Order 2020-004 and amendments declaring a state of public health emergency as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic; and
- New Mexico’s Department of Health Public Health Order, April 11, 2020, announcing houses of worship must abide by the order banning mass gatherings (defined as five or more people in a single confined space).
Staying the course, the Archdiocese of Santa Fe will continue to follow the March 20 Guidelines for Liturgies promulgated by Archbishop John C. Wester in accordance with the decree of the Holy See of March 19, 2020 (In Time of Covid-19”). These instructions continue to apply to the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi and parish churches.
- Liturgies are to be celebrated without physical participation of the faithful.
- The faithful should be informed of the times of celebration so that they can prayerfully unite themselves in their homes.
- Live-streamed or internet broadcasts are helpful, if possible.
Resources are to be provided to support family and personal prayer (available on the ASF website www.archdiosf.org).
We mourn the vast loss of life from COVID-19 and pray for those who are alone and hospitalized. We encourage all people of good will to join us in keeping families safe. Stay home, practice social distancing. Together we can save lives.