BY SUPT. KURT STEINHAUS
Los Alamos Public Schools
Greetings from the Los Alamos Public Schools,
This message contains information about school cancellation or delayed start due to snow or ice. Announcements, usually by 5:30 a.m. will be sent via the media, district web page, and School Messenger. Here are the telephone information lines:
Aspen Elementary 663-2277
Barranca Mesa Elementary 663-2732
Chamisa Elementary 663-2472
Mountain Elementary 663-2327
Pinon Elementary 663-2682
Middle School 663-2375
Topper Freshman Academy 663-2512
High School 663-2512
District Office 663-2223
In general, if Los Alamos National Laboratory is on a delay, school opening will be delayed; if the Lab is closed due to weather, our schools will be closed.
When school is dismissed early or cancelled for the day, all after school programs including athletics (both home and away) and other activities are cancelled.
Two-hour Delayed Start
Buses will arrive at bus stops two hours later than the usual pickup time.
School start times:
- Elementary schools – 10:20 a.m.
- Middle School – 10:00 a.m.
- High School – 9:50 a.m.
Parking lots will usually be cleared and ready for buses and cars by 7:30 a.m. Please allow our maintenance staff to clear the parking lots. Sidewalks will usually be cleared by 8:00 a.m.
Elementary Schools on Wednesdays: no school when there is a delay – Pre-School is cancelled and YMCA programs start at noon
When you see snow and ice on the roads
- Safety first
- If possible, get up earlier than usual to clear snow and provide extra travel time
- Please be extra cautious when driving
- Wear footwear that helps prevent slips, trips, and falls
- Take advantage of teachable moments – weather provides an incentive for students to write stories, learn science, and even calculate travel times
- Encourage students to talk about their experiences getting to school in the snow
- Exercise extra patience
- Snow and ice can cause stress; thus, try “giving an extra hand to your neighbor”
Please remember that people have different tolerances for weather and we want to be understanding of each other. Thank you,